Friday, May 23, 2008

Introduction


Hey everyone,

So I decided to start a blog so that I have a place to post updates about my cycling adventure across this great country. If you haven't heard, I am planning a solo bicycle trip from Anacortes Washington to St. Paul, Minnesota. Its kinda funny how this all started. I was pretty much sitting in a coffee shop, doing some work, and I thought to myself that I needed to take an adventure. So I decided that I was going to do this trip. And so I am! All I have to do now, is finish and pass an English literature class to fulfill my last prerequisite for school in the fall.

My train leaves from Minneapolis on June 9th. I will be traveling for 35 hours till I reach Everett WA where I am going to try to meet up with my rout. I got my maps recently in the mail from AdventureCycling.com and they look pretty tough. The rout is about 2,300 miles and I am expecting it to take me about a month and a half. My rout is taking me through the cascades, through Glacier National Park, into Canada, through North Dakota, and into Minnesota.While traveling, I am going to be aiming for an average of 60 miles per day. I will be camping along the way, and making my meals on a small propane strove. I need to be back by the very beginning of August because orientation for the University of Minnesota Med School starts on the 6th and I have to move in to my new apartment before that.

I am expecting that I won't have a whole lot of access to a computer but i will have a fair bit of time to write people at night. Therefore, I will try to update this blog when I can, but if you want a more personalized greeting, I need to get people's addresses. Send them to DanielEStein@gmail.com. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty hardcore, Daniel!

I'm so proud of you!

I hope the baby comes before you leave! :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck buddy! Sounds like a piece of cake...

Anonymous said...

You are going to have a wonderful time. You must stop by and see Erik and myself before you leave!

laura said...

Uh, Dan, this blog needs some spice. Put up pictures of cats saying funny things, or gripe about your love life. Trip sounds good! I am looking forward to hearing about it!

SFMS1 said...

Is it a solo adventure?