Sunday, June 15, 2008

going through these damn mountains (mile 189)


Heres the group of that I went through the cascades with and stayed with at night

Hello everyone from the road,
So I have been out here almost a week and man is this hard work! I am now in Twisp Washington, a small town in central Washington just before making my next climb. I finished my first major climb yesterday which was absolutely exhausting!!! I can't describe how painful it was to be climbing straight up a mountain for 35 miles pulling Tubby (my trailer). It is kinda a constant struggle to force myself to look up appreciate my surroundings, which are breathtaking, despite the pain that I am in. I have been meeting a several amazing people along the way. I actually met up with a group of cyclists who were doing a supported ride yesterday. They were so kind, giving me water, and food, and eventually offering me a place to crash on the floor of one of their hotel rooms. Other than that night, I have been camping, in state and national camp reserves, or on the side of the road when I see a clearing. For those of you who expressed your concerns, no, I have not been eaten by a bear yet. I haven't found many flat grounds yet so I haven't been able to find a good pace. I have either been going 3.5 mph going up the mountains, or like 30 mph going down. I am dreaming of a time when I can find some flat ground, but I don't think that will be for several more weeks sadly. I have to end this blog because I am running out of time on my computer. I have many more stories which I will try to relay when I find some more Internet, which has been pretty hard. I hope everyone is doing well. Post some comments, I would love to hear who is reading this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dan,
That is so cool that you are biking cross country:) Good luck!!
Lindsey

Anonymous said...

wanna know something funny? I did a project on the town of twisp when I was taking washington state history in high school. crazy huh?