Friday, July 18, 2008

Done with one adventure, ready to start another (Mile 1949 + about 200 miles hitch hiked)


Dipping my front tire in the Mississippi





I made it home! After going 330 miles in 3 days, I arrived and collapsed on the driveway at my parents house in Mendota Heights Minnesota.

I was driven from Minnewauken, ND (an the western side of devils lake) to Fargo by a guy that I found while explaining my situation to some people at the local store. We drove about 200 miles through Grand Forks and he dropped me at a random street corner in the city. After putting my bike back together, I got my bearings and slowly rode to a pretty nice bike shop. Man was I glad that I didn't have to ride further that day. It was close to 100 degrees, extremely humid, and it would have been a very strong headwind. I heard from other riders later on the trip that that was probably the worst day that they rode on the trip.

That night, I had arranged a place to stay with the same family that I stayed with in Williston, but I also had two other strangers offer me a place to stay. One woman actually found this blog when searching the internet and wrote me an Email, telling me that she had read that I was going to be in Fargo that night and that I could stay in her place if I needed somewhere to go.

The next day, I got an early start. I used a pretty decent tail wind and a beautiful day to go 115 miles. I felt really good that day and was ready to continue on after that town, but I figured it would be nice to stay in a city. Plus, when I got there, I saw that the group that I had stayed with in Whitefish was in the same park. That day, I went off the path on a bit of a shortcut which brought me through some small towns in Minnesota. In Rothsay, I stumbled upon a parade for the 125th anniversary of their town.

The following day, I again had the weather on my side. I have noticed throughout the trip, that weather conditions completely affected my mood. With another good day, I went another 115 miles to Milaca where I met my dad.

On my last day, my dad drove ahead of me in his car to help me plot out the way to get back home. This was a great day to end the trip, sunny weather, beautiful path along the river... Even though I started out feeling a little sick, I ended up making it about 95 miles home. I arrived home and collapsed in the driveway, it felt so good. I can't believe that I actually made it. When I was going from the ocean, through the mountains, through the desert and prairies, I was always tempted to give up. I have seen the country. Now I feel like I can do anything!

I think the most surprising aspect of the trip was the conversations that I had with so many different types of people from different backgrounds. I learned how to listen and relate to so many people. I wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me with encouragement, kindness and generosity along the way.

Now that I'm back, I am getting ready to start medical school. I am finally starting to come to the realization that I am actually going to med school, something I have been working for for such a long time for. I hope that I will be able to succeed. I think that this bike trip was a good way to clear my mind before starting, and to instill confidence in my ability to overcome obstacles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you made it back home safely!

Jackie from Moorhead

Anonymous said...

Dan-Congratulations on your accomplishment. We loved reading your blog and hearing about your progress through the bike tourist "grapevine".(We tagged along with EsperanzaRide a few days in MT and ND also.)We reached Bar Harbor (3,700 miles) on August 8th. It was a fantastic adventure. Sadly, the photo of you, the Rwanda coffee guys, and Lily the Tiger were mistakenly deleted. Best wishes as you start med school. Look us up if you're ever in Boise.
Barb, Steve, and Emma Kerr