Thursday, July 10, 2008

Snag in the road (Mile 1624)

I have been biking like a madman through North Dakota, averaging around 90 some miles per day. Probably because the end is in sight, and I have been getting excited to relax at home, I have been pushing my limits a lot more. Anna (my bike) has been doing very well overall with only some minor problems. Besides getting I think 9 flats, going through a tire, and some minor adjustments, she has been carrying on. Last night however, I noticed that my back wheel was very out of true. When I tried to fix it, I noticed that one of my spokes had broken and that several of my other spokes were very loose (I think in response to the broken spoke). I biked to the next town called Minnewauken (just south of Devils Lake, North Dakota where I am now) and I figured that I shouldn't go much further so that I don't break down in between towns which would probably be a fairly big problem. I was going to have my dad mail me some new spokes but that would mean that I would be stranded here for the next several days. While I was discussing my situation with some regulars at the town store, one of them told me that he is going to be driving east tomorrow and that I could ride with him to Fargo. So I am going to be staying here and resting tonight, and taking off for Fargo tomorrow to find a bike store. After that, I will get back on the road, and I should hopefully be home in 3-4 days depending on the weather and such!

No comments: