Monday, June 30, 2008

conquered the mountains and now trying to conquer the heat (mile 945)


Glacier National Park

So I am now completely finished with all of the mountains for the rest of the trip (whew). Yesterday I went over my final pass just south of Glacier National Park (that actual road through Glacier is still closed due to snow). Very interesting how, again, right after I got over the Marias Pass, everything turned brown, and the trees, and the mountains disappeared. So I have been out in the plains for a couple days now and it is HOT. Yesterday, it was about 100 degrees and there were no trees anywhere for shade. I finally found a tree to take a break under, and as I stepped into the shade, a swarm of mosquitoes attacked me so I had to keep going. I hope that the weather will cool off a little cause I am not very good with this kind of heat.

A couple days ago something pretty cool happened. I stopped into a town library to take a break and check my email before heading on to the next town. When I was in there, I was recognized by a couple of guys who I met earlier in the trip who were biking with a group raising money for an HIV charity. They told me that they were about to head up into Glacier Park to hike a bit and offered me a spot in their van. I figured that this was too good to pass up, and I would have been really disappointed if I had not been able to make it into to the park, I went with them. It was gorgeous, even though I was hiking in my bike clothing and my bike shoes. I even saw my moose! I was so excited. When we returned back to town, their group welcomed me to stay with them in the church that they had arranged and they gave me food. I hope that I run into them again.

Its been so interesting how a lot of the people that I meet along the way are so willing to open up to me. I don't know if its just that they don't really have anyone else to talk to, but I have had lots of very deep and candid conversations with complete strangers who have been very upfront with very personal things in their lives.

3 comments:

simon sez said...

Wow Dan. Dan, you are just as an interesting person as they are. I mean not many people go off on their own and bike across several states.

Keep going Dan! The pictures look amazing and it sounds like your really able to clear your head, enjoy nature and see the wild.

Keep the posts coming, there are a lot of reading this:)

Jory said...

Yea.... I'm going to have to disagree with Lauren on this one; you. my friend, are NOT interesting. You are boring, and lazy and if you'd kinda tell everyone how your head hasn't been filled with anything and thus needs not be cleared, we can all get on with our lives here. BTW, the hippies you meet along the way and all those 'people' that bike across several states alone....we call them serial killers, and if you get the feeling like the candid stories start to involve questionable intergrity....RUN!!!!! haha

Cheers,
J

Anonymous said...

I don't know why it posted as university centers but thats ll fixed now, PS: Did you finish your class to lazy SOB :) Drop me a line one of these days.
-Jory