Monday, June 23, 2008

Done with the first leg (Mile 527)




I have made it through my first map and through the state of Washington. Although I had a lot of trouble with the cascades and kettle mountains, I feel like I have survived the worst of it. I have been on relatively flat land for the past few days and I've been able to easily make up lots of miles. Yesterday I treated myself to a day off and a hotel room in Sandpoint Idaho (the biggest city that I've gone through so far). It was so nice to pretty much veg around the hotel room for most of the day and rest my butt. Kinda funny that through all of the biking and stuff, my legs aren't really that sore, its just my butt from sitting on that seat for about 10 hours a day that hurts a lot. So, by either tonight or tomorrow, I should be into Montana which I'm guessing will take a long time to get through. Gotta conquer the Rockies first.

I have run into several people touring across the country so far and each town that I go through says that they get a very large number of people touring through. I spent several nights going along side a mother and father touring to Maine with their 8 year old daughter. Very nice people and it was good to have some traveling companions to talk to at night. I have also recently been running into a group of college guys who are doing a van supported ride to New York as a fundraiser for a Uganda charity.

4 comments:

Linda or Mom said...

Congratulations. I'm impressed and proud of you. And the accomplishment is more amazing because you were towing tubby. Hope your butt is better AND the flat land isn't too hot.

Unknown said...

Hey goober,
Your trip sounds incredible, and you're going to be a beast by the end of it. You'll have legs of steel. I'm glad you're safe and making new friends that aren't escaped convicts or serial killers. Take pictures. Send me one :)

-Adri
112 South Washington St.
Baltimore, MD 21231

Anonymous said...

Dan, Greg and TK say 'Hi!' and wish you well. Irv also said how impressed he is with what you're doing. Dad

Anonymous said...

is there any end to the menagerie of cool things you do? I hope you're drawing out there. at the very least, I bet you'll have some amazing stories to tell patients in the future... good way to distract them from the vicious pointy things you may be using at them at any particular time.

I admire your drive and envy this crazy adventure =) hope you're still trucking along and doing well. and I do hope to catch up with you someday, whenever you happen to be around.

say hello to any moose you see from Rachel. they'll know me. seriously.

and, should you feel so inclined to send me a postcard, I'm going to facebook you my address.

cheers, and good luck!